Tuesday, September 19, 2006

All audiophiles like miked amps

At least that's what I think. I'm starting this blog cause I want to share my adventures on homerecording. What to use best, what to do if all else fails in a mix, how to record a certain instrument, how to mike an amp or drumkit and what if I use [enter plugin here] on [enter instrument track here]?

In all honesty I have to say I'm an amateur with a capital A. I've just dove in the world of homerecording and therefor don't have much knowledge and don't have much equipment. That doesn't matter though. I notice that the most important key to learn the procedure of producing a "commercial sounding" mix is to just do it. And we did.

I'm the lead singer and bassplayer in a band called HardlyEasy and we've recorded around 15 songs in July and August. We did this in 2 loads of 8 and 7 songs and the funny thing is. Our second load sounds a lot better then the first load. We did a few things differently and that's our result. We're in the mixing phase right now so as soon as we've got something. You'll know it.

Let me tell you what we were using to record these sessions :
- Phonic Helixboard 18 firewire;
- Audiotechika condensor mike;
- Superlux drum mike kit;
- Behringer DI 100;
- Cubase SX3 recording software.

So you can see, it's not much but we've got some fairly good results right now. And now, it's off to work. Or else I wouldn't have anything to talk about!

No comments: