Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Headbangingly heavy

And we're up to the next step already! Guitars and what not. To mix these first of all I used the compresser preset for electric guitar and added a little reverb to it. Or a lot, depending on the sound you want ofcourse. After that a lot of sound engineers use gating to get rid of the noise when there is no playing. I don't like that. So therefor my way requires a little bit more work, but I think my way sounds better.
First of all I muted the parts where the guitar wasn't welcome. Secondly, if this cuts off a sound, I let it fade out. This way there aren't any sudden stops in the sound and lets it all glide off gently.

EQ-ing guitars is a whole other story. For this I used the spectrum analyzer built-in with Cubase SX3 and used the hamming method. Why? I don't know. I was told this was the general way to do this, so I did it. Some things you do not question.
Now I can see which frequencies needed to be cut and which needed to be boosted. For example, a diagram shows that 108 Hz is highly available. Then I use a high pass filter on the 108 Hz and I usually use a low pass filter around the 12 kHz for all noise. Then I boost the midsection and high-midsection untill I get a sound which satisfies me.

Because we've got 2 guitarplayers and therefor 2 guitarparts, I panned one to the left and one to the right. Not hard though. Around 65 both ways is enough. Sometimes it's fun to use a little stereospread on one and a large one on the other. This makes it pretty freaky, but then again funny. It's cool to experiment. Go ahead do it.

After this you could process some modulation like chorus or flanger, but that's up to you. Next up : Vocals.. Oh boy.

No comments: