Thursday, October 19, 2006

Thank god for autotune

Now we're up to the next step, vocals. Vocals can be processed in many ways and this is mine. First of all, I have a few vocal plug-ins, Antares and Voxengo and I use them both. First of all I use the Voxengo Voxformer for general vox compression and to add a little more body to the vocals. From the Antares vocalpack, I use the Avox Throat to level the vocals and the Avox Punch to give it a little extra feeling. After this I use the multiband compressor for all the de-essing that needs to be done.
Now I use a little reverb to make the vocals a little warmer. It seems some sound engineers choose to not do that and just use the clear vocals, but I think that sucks and therefor I won't do it, ever. Just add a little big reverb, if you know what I mean. If not, I mean a reverb which gives you the idea you're in a large hall all by yourself. But just a tiny little bit of it. Unless you mean it that way ofcourse.

And this is the fun part. It's nearly impossible to sing without imperfections. Little imperfections that is, if the vocals are way off, you just need to re-record them. For this we've got a thing called Antares Autotune. This can gently correct a pitch when it is off. For instance if you have to keep a certain note for a while, it's very possible you get a little glitch somewhere in that period. If you find it correct it in midi and well... RTFM, I would say. I could spell it all out for you, but this is more fun to find out on your own.

That's it for the plug-in part. Now you're off to levelling it all. Next time I'll talk how I levelled and what I think is important in for a good mix.

No comments: